Home    Contact   


Rich Jones, PGA & CTFT Coach

Rich Jones 2020National PGA Award Winner - Metropolitan PGA Junior Teacher of the Year & US Kids Top 50 Instructor

M.S., Adolescent Education (Grades 7-12)
B.S., Business Marketing/Management

Professional Awards:
National PGA Player Development Award Winner
Metropolitan PGA Junior Leader
Top 50 US Kids Teacher
PGA President’s Council on Growing the Game
Member of the PGA of America

Rich Jones, Class A PGA Professional and Certified First Tee Coach, was elected to PGA Membership in 2003, and has been a Golf Professional since 1998. Rich has extensive experience coaching adult men/women, juniors, seniors, disabled golfers and professional athletes.

In addition to specializing in junior instruction, Rich’s greatest testimony is perhaps the hundreds of adults he has introduced to the game of golf.  Rich is recognized as a professional who is always enthusiastic and available to help those who want to learn.  From beginners, high handicappers, top amateurs or professionals, men, women, seniors or disabled golfers, Rich delivers a variety of individual one-on-one instruction to multi-learner camps and clinics.  All students find Rich’s teaching style and philosophy easy to understand and effective, with immediate results that carry over to the golf course.

Teaching Philosophy

As a PGA professional, I am committed to helping students achieve a greater enjoyment of the game. Whether they are just being introduced to the game, or training for high level tournament play, my time tested techniques help them realize their golfing goals. Strong emphasis is placed on the importance of pre-swing fundamentals. Proper grip, aim, stance, balance, posture, alignment and ball position are the foundation and basis of any good golf swing.

Educating students on the how’s and why’s, and not just the do’s and dont’s, is fundamental to my swing philosophy. Understanding the cause and effect relationships in golf help students become better players.  The more knowledge students have, the better equipped they will be to handle the challenges of this game. I base my teaching on the nine Ball Flight Laws of Golf and am committed to helping students better understand their golf swing.

Students learn new tasks differently. As an instructor, it is my responsibility to ensure the message is understood in the most concise method possible. There are three methods of learning: HEARING IT, SEEING IT, and FEELING IT.  I believe in utilizing all three styles. Extensive use of video and technology help enhance the learning experience. “Feel and real” must be the same to play consistent golf. Swing development requires practice along with professional guidance to keep students on the path to better golf. Practicing correctly, with prescribed swing drills, will help accomplish this goal.

“I feel privileged to be able to help shape and mold students’ outlook on golf, because I know golf will shape their outlook on life.  I understand I am teaching more than how to play a game.  I have developed a love and passion for teaching.  I believe in this so much that I have dedicated my career to making golf accessible and affordable for juniors, especially those who would not normally have the chance to play.  It is my gift to share, my responsibility, and my way of giving back.”

The Short Game

The chip and run should be the workhorse of your short game. It is the most reliable shot around the green when you can’t putt. I would estimate that at least 95% of my short game shots (from within 20 yards of the edge of the green) are played with a chip and run technique, and the other 5% is made up of putts from off the green, pitches, and bunker shots.

Getting the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible greatly increases the chances of the ball’s behavior being predictable. That is not to say that a chip and run is always very low to the ground; just as low as possible. A chip and run style shot can be played with the most lofted wedge in your bag, in which case some people might refer to the shot as a “pitch and run.” In many cases where the average golfer tries to pitch the ball up in the air, the “risk vs. reward” and the uncontrollable nature of a pitch (especially from a marginal lie) make it a poor choice.

Short Game General Rules:

  • Putt whenever you can
  • Chip and run when you can’t putt
  • Pitch only when you have no choice

Enjoy The Game. Enjoy Your Game.